Frequently Asked Questions
Thaena® is committed to providing people with the tools and resources to more effectively support health by restoring balance to microbial ecosystems. Our flagship product ThaenaBiotic®, along with our education platform, is the first step in leading an ecosystem revolution.
Our co-founders developed ThaenaBiotic® based on their work with fecal microbiota transplant (FMT) and treating patients through their functional medicine clinic Flora Medicine. Our co-founder’s unique approach to looking at an individual's whole health (including diet, lifestyle, and history) makes our stool-derived product truly special.
ThaenaBiotic® is a novel, whole biome derived postbiotic made via the patent-pending ThaenaKilled sterilization process. This process yields a complex mixture of molecules that represents a healthy microbial ecosystem. Typical probiotics and postbiotics on the market represent only a small fraction of the diversity found in our microbiome.
ThaenaBiotic is made from screened, healthy donor stool (containing live organisms) that is then sterilized, freeze-dried, and encapsulated.
- Heat sterilization using autoclaving of the stool assures that all viruses and bacteria are killed, but their active metabolites (i.e., postbiotics) are preserved.
- The addition of a pH adjustment step before freeze-drying via lyophilization allows for the retention of essential volatile short-chain fatty acids.
- Many of the active metabolites (e.g., short-chain fatty acids, bile acids, amino acid derivatives, ceramides, sphingosine, and more) found in ThaenaBiotic™ have been shown to play a role in supporting healthy microbiomes.
Postbiotics are the active substances our microbiome makes from the nutrients we eat (i.e., fiber and polyphenols, the colorful part of our foods), that can communicate with our body and help maintain health.
We define postbiotics as the molecular byproducts from ThaenaKilled microorganisms (bacteria, virus, fungi, and archaea sterilized with high heat + high pressure) present in our healthy, whole biome-derived material.
These metabolic byproducts (active metabolites) of live bacteria are derived from either metabolism of prebiotics or heat-inactivated cell lysis. And any of these molecules have global physiological effects on the host., Postbiotics have been evaluated in small studies and found to be potentially beneficial for the following clinical applications:
- Heat-killed probiotics have been shown to be effective at modulating human health (Depommier 2019, Jeong 2020)
- Postbiotics are active components in modulating the microbiome and human health (Wong 2019, Barros 2020)
ThaenaKilled is defined as a patent-pending process of blending, autoclaving and pH adjustment of screened, healthy human stool.
Whole biome derived refers to the robust and complex microbial ecosystem found in our screened, healthy donor stool we use as raw material to produce ThaenaBiotic™. Healthy human donors are interviewed and screened for baseline health measures and infectious disease markers using stool and serum testing. These donors prioritize health and wellness to create diverse microbial ecosystems worth sharing.
No. ThaenaBiotic® is a sterilized, stool-derived supplement. There is no live bacteria, meaning no risk of infection.
Dosing information is exclusive to Thaena Providers. If you are a Thaena Provider, click here and login to your provider portal. Then navigate to the Provider FAQ page using your portal navigation options.
Using stool and serum testing, healthy human donors are interviewed and screened for baseline health measures and infectious disease markers. To determine whether or not a donor represents a healthy microbiome, the following screening requirements must be met:
- A thorough medical history, lifestyle and nutrition interview, mental health assessment, and pass all infectious disease screening.
- Detailed instructions including recommendations for maintaining a healthy microbiome through diet and lifestyle practices are provided to donors.
These donors prioritize health and wellness to create diverse microbial ecosystems worth sharing.
ThaenaBiotic® is available at select integrative medicine clinics and wellness centers. Thaena partners with integrative medicine practitioners throughout the United States, see our Provider Directory to find a Thaena Provider near you.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (503) 506-8732
We at Thaena recommend working with an integrative medicine practitioner to determine how to take ThaenaBiotic® including recommended dosage and length of time. Longterm benefits have been noted when ThaenaBiotic® was taken daily for an average of 3-6 months, but every individual may experience ThaenaBiotic® differently which is why it is best to work with a Thaena Provider.
Most individuals who have taken ThaenaBiotic™ tolerate it well, with no adverse events reported. Side effects may include transient* abdominal bloating, cramping, increased gas or burping, diarrhea, constipation, stool or gas odor changes, nausea, altered energy levels, joint pain, or change in mood.
- Side effects are typically transient, lasting from a few hours up to a few weeks.
- Side effects should not significantly interfere with daily life.If your patient/client is experiencing a side effect that causes significant distress, have your patient discontinue therapy and report the adverse effect to email@example.com or call us at 503-506-8732.
Some individuals taking ThaenaBiotic® have experienced constipation or cramping. These effects are generally short-lasting or transient and usually pass after a week.
You absolutely can! Though, if you are taking ThaenaBiotic®, we do not believe it is necessary.
At this time, ThaenaBiotic® cannot be taken as a suppository. However, you can open the capsule and mix the powder in with a smoothie, yogurt, or food. Our team has done it, it adds a bit of a tangy flavor to whatever you are having.
No, you do not need to meet any specific medical qualifications to use ThaenaBiotic®. ThaenaBiotic® is available at select integrative medicine clinics and wellness centers. Thaena partners with integrative medicine practitioners throughout the United States, see our Provider Directory to find a Thaena Provider near you.
If your doctor is not a Thaena Provider and would like to become one they can sign up HERE. Or, you can schedule a 15 minute consultation with an established Thaena Provider from our partner clinic, Flora Medicine, HERE.
No. Because we are not a clinic that directly treats patients, we are unable to share feedback with the general public. However, one of our partner clinics, Flora Medicine, does treat patients directly and has wonderful testimonials to share on their website. Check them out HERE.